Tuesday 10 November 2009

The Great Gatsby




The SSST group invited me along to observe their final class studying the Great Gatsby. I read this book over the summer and enjoyed it immensely, once finished. I had found it tough going whilst I read it. During this class I was amazed at the depth of analysis taking place and the quality of ideas being expressed. I just had time to make a note of Valerias interpretation of the thme of illusion within the Great gatsby. She said:
"How wasted (are these) illusions that bring a world so colourful, that experiencing this magic, a person has become indifferent to the concepts of true and false."

You should read that again! It's very poetic and from a student who has previously expressed her preferences towards the sciences and mathematics. In fact valeria asked me to thank Liz for bringing these ideas out in her. The session I observed here made me appreciate the book at a far greater level. Importantly as the course coordinator I have already seen what great teaching and learning is taking place in groups 1 and 2. The rate of improvement in English is very good for every student here in EFIA Torquay. In English B Wendy is engaging with all sorts of digital media and stretching the students with fascinating texts to read: Holes by Sachar and Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams.

No comments:

Post a Comment